The Dauphin has made it fairly obvious that he possesses a lowly opinion of King Henry, hence his gift of tennis balls to Henry symbolizing his youth and childishness. Also, he happily proclaims in front of the French court that it was he who sent the tennis balls to Henry; admitting that he craved for "nothing but odds with England". His actions revel that has no respect for, not only England and not only Henry, but both all at once.
I believe to fully understand the Dauphin you must you must put yourself in his shoes. Imagine hearing for many years about an English prince by the name of Henry who spends all his time in a bar participating with its inhabitants in their drunkenness, never tending to his princely duties or serving his people in any way. Being a prince yourself, you can't stand the selfishness and lack of maturity that Prince Henry is displaying. Despite your being French and not caring for the English you can't help but feel a little sorry for them when the repulsive Prince Henry becomes king. Then you suddenly hear that the King Henry has made a miraculous change for the better.
In that position I know I would be skeptical as to Henry's true ambitions. Really, the Dauphin shouldn't have been making such opinions since he himself was young and not the 'mature' prince he thought. This is proven when he discards the Constable's wise words without second thoughts. This set aside, the Dauphin's opinions of Henry are still understandable, but wrong none the less.
It's very interesting to put yourself in the Dauphin's shoes, and you brought up several points I'd never thought about before. You make a very convincing point. Nicely done!
ReplyDelete-McKinley
I agree with McKinley. I did not think about the points you made, and I think your view is very original. Although I also believe you could have talked more about the Constable... But that is purely my opinion. Other than that, well done my friend!
ReplyDelete